Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wintergreen

We're going to Wintergreen, Virginia this weekend. A neighbor couple has a house there, which they normally rent out, but they generously invited the three of us and two other neighbor couples to spend the weekend there. So I thought I should give a quick update.

After almost two weeks, Dana Laake (JF's nutritionist) has finally sent us her recommendations for JF: six pages of pure gold, in my book. We have also finally collected hair and urine samples for the test kits that she gave us:
  • Urine for organic acid analysis
  • Hair for mineral analysis
  • Urine for porphyrin profiling
  • Urine for casein/gluten peptide measurements

I mailed the hair sample yesterday, two of the urine samples this morning, and the last sample this evening. (I had to wait for it to freeze.)

Now that that's done, we can change JF's diet, starting with removal of all dairy. I need to call the daycare and his PEP teacher about this.

I need to go to Village Green Pharmacy and pick up what the nutritionist recommended:

  • ProbBioGold
  • Rx Formula I
  • Cod Liver Oil
  • Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega
  • Yummy Bears Multiple Vitamin Mineral
  • Liquid Calcium Magnesium
  • Rhino Echinacea Liquid
  • Garlic Willow Bark Ear Drops

I've never had a grocery list like this before!

I've also sent a long e-mail message to many family members outlining what I've learned over the past few months about biomedical treatments for autism. A few responded with words of support. Some haven't responded yet. My dad responded more than anyone, with polite support, but also his opinion that, "this business about mercury in vaccines might be a paper tiger."

I pounced on that. (No pun intended.) I sent him some links to articles describing just how dangerous mercury in vaccines really is, including http://www.generationrescue.org/misinformation.html and http://www.autismwebsite.com/ari/dan/deth.htm. I don't fully understand the detailed chemistry article, but I thought he might understand it because he has a PhD in chemistry. (He was a university chemist over thirty years ago.) I hope the articles impress him.

So that was my quick update. Well, it was relatively quick.

3 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

I went to listen to Boyd Haley when he traveled through our part of the country. He is the Chair of the chemistry department at the University of Kentucky. His presentation was on Mercury in general. He spent as much time talking about amalgrams as he did Autism but he was very informative on the impact of mercury in general.

I don't know if a fellow chemist will help persuade your dad or not.
???

Enjoy your weekend away!

mjsuperfan said...

Wow, what a list! I've been reading about biomedical things a lot lately. We are trying DMG right now. I don't see a change in G., but B. is talking a tiny bit (he has a few words he can say, but uses them very rarely), which could be a result of the DMG.

Do you start using all of those supplements all at once, or add them in one at a time? I want to try the Omega 3 Fatty Acids, but we're waiting til we see what we think of DMG.

It's good you have a professional advising you! There so much to consider.
Good luck!

WarriorMom said...

To MWAM: Thanks! I'll tell Dad about Boyd Haley the next chance I get.

To mom to jbg: I would like to start everything all at once, but then if he responded well or badly, we wouldn't know which supplement caused it! I think we'll add them one per week.