Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Rest in peace, NHF

My husband's mom died yesterday. Her decline began a year and a half ago, when she went to the doctor for a sore throat and difficulty breathing. It turned out to be a cancerous tumor in her throat. They removed it and started a treatment of chemo and radiation therapy. She's been bouncing back & forth between hospitals and nursing homes ever since.

Just over a week ago, my husband learned from his siblings that his mom was getting worse. She wasn't eating as much. She was tired of fighting for survival. They started giving her hospice care. As I understand it, this means they gave her drugs to make her more comfortable, drugs reserved for the terminally ill.

Yesterday, AF called me at work and said just two words: "She's gone." I knew what he meant.

I think the treatment (chemo & radiation) was worse than the disease.

AF drove up to New York this morning, to visit with his dad. He'll be back tomorrow evening.

I asked him whether he'd like to go to church this Sunday. I figured, it might be a comfort to him. He thanked me for the suggestion, but he said that the golf course has been his church these days.

There will be a memorial service, but I don't know when. I didn't really get to know her very well, but I want to do everything that I can to support my husband and his family while they grieve. I'm even thinking about singing Amazing Grace at the memorial service, but only if no-one else wants to do so.

Death kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it? There were several other things I wanted to write about, but I think I'll save it up for next time, because I think NHF deserves a post all to herself.

2 comments:

Mary said...

My sympathies to you and your husband. I'm so sorry.

Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I'm so sorry for you and your husband. I'm thinking of you.