Friday, January 12, 2007

My creed

I firmly believe that everything happens for a good reason.

Every anxiety, every pain, every loss happens for a good reason. I came to this conclusion shortly after my mom died in a car accident on May 21st, 1993. I was 19 at the time, in college.

I had been raised Roman Catholic, but I've always been very skeptical. Heck, I didn't believe in lightning until I saw it myself. So I've always wondered about the Trinity. Sure, it's a nice story, that Jesus died for our sins. But is it true? So many people have died because of religious fervor, and continue to do so. I believe that religious beliefs should be well-justified, considering the weight that they carry. When Mom died, I asked myself whether there is a god, and if so, what kind?

It came down to my need to believe that Mom's death was for a good reason, even though I don't know what it was. Assuming this is true, then there must be some higher power, who is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good, and concerned with every detail of our lives. I call this higher power God, and I use the male pronouns, because that is what I'm accustomed to doing.

I also believe that prayer makes a difference. God knows what each of us wants, but we need to tell Him those wants, if only in thought. Consider a practical perspective: If you put your wants into words, then you are more focused, you can more easily prioritize your life, and you can more easily discipline yourself to do what you need to do. Seek and ye shall find.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to put my prayers into words, I get all tangled up thinking, I should ask for this, no I should ask for that, no that's not important either. More and more lately, I just end up thinking, "God, help me to do Your will." It doesn't help me to focus, prioritize, or discipline myself very much, but maybe that doesn't matter.

No comments: