Friday, January 26, 2007

Sacrificing sleep for blog therapy

On Monday evening, JF's PEP teacher will visit us at home. We've had a few home visits already, so I know what to expect. But this time, I've done my homework. I finished reading Autism Spectrum Disorders by Chantal Sicile-Kira a few days ago.

Here's my review, having read no other autism books for context: It seems like a very thorough reference and introduction to the subject, but it seems to just skim the surface. It whetted my appetite for more information on ASDs. Maybe this is exactly the kind of book I needed to read at this point, because I want to go out and buy half of the other books this book listed. Maybe there is no way to put all of the information into one book.

I get the impression from blogs and from this ASD book that I shouldn't be complacent. I really like JF's PEP teacher and I believe she has been doing a great job with him. He has made a lot of progress since he started PEP in September. But...? The NCLB Act was not fully funded; Therefore, by definition, the school system can't be doing all that it should be doing for my son. Right? Also, an Advice for Parents article says, "There is general agreement that...the interventions should involve a substantial amount of time each week, between 20-40 hours...." JF gets only 15 hours a week.

So perhaps I should investigate how JF can get more therapy. The problem is that we both work outside the home now. My husband was a stay-at-home dad until November 2005, when JF was 2.5 years old. We enrolled JF in daycare at that point because we were starting to worry about his development and we were hoping that he just needed to socialize with other kids his age. PEP seemed like a godsend, because they pick him up from daycare at noon and drop him off at daycare four hours later. If we were to sign up JF for more therapies, one of us would have to quit working to chauffeur him from therapy to therapy, and to manage those therapies. I would want to convince myself that this was necessary before we considered it. But there is no yardstick, as far as I can tell, that can tell me whether this is necessary, for JF.

There were some therapies/treatments described in the ASD book that would not require one of us to quit working: All of the dietary treatments and the Irlen lenses. I think we'll investigate those first. I'll read more books on the subject. Then maybe I should make an appointment with a developmental pediatrician, someone who has experience with ASDs, and ask that doctor for guidance. JF has an appointment with his neurologist at the beginning of March to discuss his recent EEG. Maybe that doctor could also provide some guidance.

Meanwhile, we're switching him to a different multi-vitamin. He's been on PolyViSol since he was a baby, currently taking 1 ML per day. A few months ago, I tried to switch him to Flintstone's chewables, but he apparently didn't like it. (Maybe it was a texture/sensory thing.) Now we have L'il Critter Gummy Vites. When we bought them, I vowed, if JF doesn't like these, I'll eat them, because I hate to let things go to waste. Fortunately, JF likes them. The percent daily values are over 100% for some things for the 2-4 year group, but below 100% for the 4 & up group. I don't like to go over 100% with vitamins, especially the fat-soluble ones. So, until his fourth birthday in May, we'll alternate between the PolyViSol and the Gummy Vites. The ASD book has a paragraph about the benefits of vitamin B6 and magnesium. The Gummy Vites have twice the B6 as the PolyVisol. Neither one apparently has magnesium. Maybe we need to look for gummy vitamins that have both. (And then I'll have to eat these Gummy Vites.)

I also want to ask the PEP teacher what kind of therapies they are using in the PEP class. I think she mentioned ABA. When I told her how I was teaching him to dress himself (very patiently, little by little, showing him hand-over-hand what to do, and praising each little success), I think she said something about ABA. I know she uses PECS. She gave me a sheet of picture symbols to help with the potty-training. (It did help!) And she has been saying since the last home visit that she will give me more picture symbols for his daily activities. (Maybe she'll bring them on Monday.)

But this ASD book describes many more therapies than just ABA and PECS. I need to dig up JF's IEP and read it again with my new knowledge. Maybe it will make more sense to me this time. Then, on Monday, I'll ask the PEP teacher about the other therapies listed in this ASD book.

So now I have a skeleton of a plan. I feel a little better.

But I still wish I could figure out how much help JF needs. We believe he has an ASD, but we don't know which one (classic autism or PDD-NOS). Here is a snapshot of what JF can do now (based on the ATEC form in the back of the ASD book):

Speech/Language/Communication:

  • He answers correctly, "What's your name?" He might answer correctly, "How old are you?" with the word three or he might get distracted by the effort to hold up only three fingers.
  • Follows many commands, such as, "Bring me your shoes" or "Put your crayons away."
  • Recites many books, such as Dr. Seuss, and songs, including Happy Birthday To You, You Can Do a Lot Under Water (Milkshake), Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Let It Snow, the ABC song, and so on.
  • Other than songs and books, uses many scripted phrases, such as, "Where's Daddy?" and "More sit on the potty?"
  • Has been improving daily on explaining what he wants. He says, "I want..." and fills in the blank. He recently learned the usefulness of the word "this" in this context. If a toy that he wants is out of his reach and he doesn't know a name for it, he will point to it and say, "Please help more dis?"
  • Otherwise, he does not ask questions. His speech is always meaningful and relevant, but only from his perspective. He does not participate in conversations.
  • Often repeats exactly what you've just said to him, verbatim, with the same inflection. (Echolalia)

Sociability:

  • Sometimes will ignore people. When I say his name, sometimes he will turn and look at me, but sometimes he won't.
  • He cooperates very well, most of the time. Otherwise, he dawdles and gets distracted from the task at hand.
  • He has eye contact issues, according to the county school evaluations, but at home, with his parents, he makes eye contact often.
  • He shows affection in the form of hugs (even to strangers), and kisses.
  • When I come home from work, he usually does not come to greet me. Once, however, he greeted me and showed me something ("Momma, see dis?"), which was a double shocker.
  • Imitates! Actions, words, everything! When we tried to teach him how to spit out toothpaste, he started a bad habit of spitting, everywhere and all day.
  • Likes being held/cuddled. He used to always back into a hug, and sometimes he still does.
  • Rarely shares or shows anything (one exception described above).
  • Has waved bye-bye since he was a baby, backwards.
  • He hasn't had a temper tantrum in a long time.
  • Has friends/companions at daycare and PEP, maybe?
  • Smiles a lot.
  • Insensitive to other's feelings. Currently not hitting his classmates and parents as much.
  • Indifferent to being liked, maybe?
  • Upset if parents leave. We have to reassure him, "Mommy/Daddy will be right back."

Sensory/Cognitive:

  • Responds to praise.
  • Looks at people, animals, pictures, TV. (Currently fascinated with the remote control.)
  • Draws lines, squiggles, the first three letters of his name, and a smiley face.
  • Plays with some toys appropriately, but not all. He often breaks pencil points. He demands that Daddy wind up a car for him, even though he has done it himself before. When he's playing with toy cars, he likes to spin the wheels. He'll try to spin anything roundish.
  • Usually has an appropriate facial expression, unless he is hitting you. In that case, he's smiling as if he has just given you a hug.
  • Does not understand stories on TV or explanations?
  • Aware of his environment? Aware that his daycare is near his home. When he's upset, he'll look out the window toward home.
  • Unaware of danger.
  • Starting to show a little imagination?
  • Initiates activities. He finds a toy and starts playing with it. He finds a book, hands it to you and says, "Read to you? Ank you?" (Translation: "Please read this to me. Thank you.")
  • When handed articles of clothing in a certain way, can dress himself with little help.
  • Curious & venturesome most of the time.
  • Looks where others are pointing, but not where others are looking?

Health/Physical/Behavior:

  • Recently almost potty-trained during the day. Still wears a diaper while sleeping. Might have one accident each day.
  • Diarrhea when he's sick, which is about once a month. Otherwise, perhaps constipation?
  • Sleeps through the night, unless he's sick.
  • Some days he eats a lot, some days he eats little.
  • He loves almost any carb (bread, bagel, oatmeal, crackers, cake, cookies, noodles). He loves PB&J sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches. He loves milk, cheese, & yogurt. He is picky about meat, veggies, and sometimes fruit. He refuses any form of potatoes except chips. He refuses any form of eggs.
  • Sometimes hyperactive and sometimes lethargic.
  • When frustrated, might bite himself. Sometimes pinches a freckle on his leg.
  • Sometimes aggressive to others: Hits, pinches, slaps, kicks, and pulls hair. (We're working on this.) Sometimes he seems to do it as if it were a sign of affection. Sometimes he does it out of frustration.
  • Destroys pencil tips. Draws on the walls. Steps on his toys. Otherwise not destructive.
  • Maybe sound-sensitive. (Used to cry when visiting relative's house, which was noisy.)
  • Sometimes anxious/fearful/unhappy/crying.
  • May have had one seizure. Also has staring spells, which may be mini-seizures. (Waiting for results of EEG.)
  • Obsessive speech! Much perseverating! "Where's Daddy?" "At work." "Where's Daddy?"
  • Routines can be changed, and he doesn't seem to mind. On the weekends, he asks, "Ready for daycare?" until distracted by some other activity.
  • Sometimes shouts/screams.
  • Does not demand sameness.
  • Sometimes agitated.
  • Sometimes seems not sensitive to pain.
  • Fixates on certain topics, singing the same song for days, or reciting the same book for days.
  • His repetitive movements may have disappeared: He used to open/close doors a lot, but not as much now. He used to look at things with his peripheral vision while moving his head, but not as much now.

Wow, this turned out to be quite long. If you have actually read this post all the way through, you must be either married to me or very bored. Or both.

6 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

Nope, not married to you. Not really bored either. Sounds like you are definitely doing your homework before the meeting! It is so much more empowering to go in there knowing what you want! Good for you!

You are going to be thankful you have this list. I often look back at the lists I made during our eval and right before starting various therapies. So many of the changes sneak up on us day by day that we really kind of miss noticing. Now you have a snapshot of today so you can look back and realize how far he has come!

Now, I am going to say one thing and then I will drop the subject. Consider looking at the biomedical therapies out there. I rolled my eyes at them for over a year before looking into them due to yeast issues. My son had lots of bowel issues as well. It turned out he was overrun with a couple types of yeast. After only 6 weeks on Nystatin he started having 1 formed bowel a day! I swear that had we not figured this out he would still be in diapers!

However, I need to caution you. The biomedical community is treated by some people as though they are selling snake oil. Don't let those attitudes dissuade you! These are reputable doctors leading this research and they do help lots of families. (Many of these doctors are parents of autistic children --otherwise they probably wouldn't have ever considered bucking the system.)

I say all this because I can almost guarantee that your doctors will disregard these therapies. They'll say that there is limited proof in them. They may admit that a glutein/casein free diet would be worth trying. (And based on what you said your son eats and his hyperactivity/lethargy--he fits the profile for these allergies) All I can say is every child is different and you won't know until you investigate for yourself. But please look at the information.

For guidance down this path there are a few websites and several books you can look at. I guess I'd start with the Defeat Autism Now (DAN) website. Just google it and see what you find. A good book is "Children with Starving Brains" by Jacqueline McCandless. It gives a good overview of the biomedical world. The DAN webiste should have a physician search so you can see if there are any doctors in your area.

Anyway, I do support biomedicals. We have seen gains due to them. I also believe that you have to have behavioral therapies as well! I truly believe that the biomedicals helped my son feel better inside his body so that he could concentrate on the behavioral therapies.

There are two camps in the autism world. Biomedical and Behavioral and they don't play nicely with each other. Often you will find that a therapist/doctor will only endorse one side.

But don't let anyone--Biomedical or Behavioral--tell you that you have to do one specific thing to "cure" your child. Every child is different and no one knows what will work best for your child! Also, I hate the word cure. Don't let anyone tell you that they can "cure" your son. He doesn't need cured.

Our children are who they are. They will always be JP (mine) and JF! They may show autistic traits or they may not. Our goal is to give them a healthy happy life.

I say all this just to let you know that biomedicals are an option. When we entered the autism world a couple years ago this was almost a taboo topic...now virtually every local family I know is doing some of the biomedical therapies. These therapies can range from specific vitamin supplementation to chelation. You can travel this road as far as you are comfortable ...don't be intimidated by the "chelation" talk.

Anyway, just my 2cents!

WarriorMom said...

Thank you very much for the feedback, mom w/o a manual! :)

I do intend to keep an open mind about both biomedical and behavioral treatments, and your comment reassures me on that point. I will look for the DAN website and the McCandless book, as you suggest. Thanks again!

mjsuperfan said...

It sounds as if your son has tons of potential, and he also has some of those typical ASD markers. It's interesting that he used to back into hugs. One of my sons still does that, and the other one will walk over and kind of collapse on to you.

You sound as if you are being extremely thorough, which is great. I'm also curious about biomedical therapies, especially the GFCF diet. I hope you'll keep us updated on what you find out and how it works for you.

You might be able to work with your son one hour each evening, and some on the weekends, and you'd have him over twenty hours a week already. It sounds as if you are already giving him "therapy" instinctively (ie the way you are teaching him to dress himself).

I can relate to your whole "warrior or worrier" concept. It sounds to me as if the warrior in you is winning out.
Alice

WarriorMom said...

Hi Mom to JBG. Thank you for the supportive comment. :)

I will try to keep this blog updated with what we're trying and how well it works.

And thank you for the suggestion about working with him on the evenings & weekends. I've been thinking about that, and will try to include my thoughts in my next post. (Today, if JF will let me.)

I hope you're right about the warrior in me! :)

Anonymous said...

I speak of Dreams.

You could join the SchwabLearning Parents Discussion board for advice and support.

http://schwablearning.org/message_boards/index.asp

You could read the following article about "How Do You Know If A Program Is Any Good?"

http://pluk.mt.typepad.com/pluk_news_archive/2007/02/how_do_you_know.html

You could get to know Kristina Chew's blog AutismLand (her son Charlie is now 10, and more affected than your boy) -- she is inspiring

www.kristinachew.com/

WarriorMom said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Anonymous-Speaker-of-Dreams. I will take a look.