Sunday, February 4, 2007

Fever update

AF and JF returned from the ER only two hours after they left last night. Apparently, the last dose of ibuprophen kicked in the moment they arrived at the ER. The ER doctor said JF has a viral infection and sent them home with nothing.

(There ought to be better ways for parents to determine what's wrong with their kids at home, to prevent pointless trips to the doctor or ER!)

Throughout the night and this morning, we've been alternating between ibuprophen and acetaminophen, and encouraging him to drink Gatorade or apple juice. He actually ate some toast this morning, threw it up, and then ate more toast. I guess his stomach fills with junk while he's asleep, and he had to clear it out before he could digest anything.

He's napping now, but after the first hour, I've been interrupting his nap to give him sips of Gatorade every ten or fifteen minutes. I'm hoping this will prevent any further vomiting. He was due for another dose of ibuprophen a few minutes ago, but I took his temperature and it was only 100.1. I'm going to wait & see.

4 comments:

Kelly O said...

Yikes! Poor little guy, poor parents. My little man recently had something similar; his fever got to 104.5 before I quit taking it and just watched his behavior (after calling his doctor a little hysterically). High fevers and the threat of dehydration are so scary. I hope he's feeling better!

WarriorMom said...

Thanks, kelly o! I think he's better now. His last dose of fever-reducer was at 2:00 this morning. I'm hoping he can go to daycare tomorrow.

nylonthread said...

How'd it go? Did he make it to school today? Those viruses; so enigmatic and disruptive.

I have a pediatrician who told me that I needed to be "empowered" in the use of DD's nebulizer drugs, but whenever I call for advice (i.e., what combo of pulmicort, albuterol, or atrovent is appropriate this time?), they always tell us to come in. Sigh.

WarriorMom said...

Hi, balloftwine. I'll try to post an update about JF, but thanks for asking. We get the same kind of mixed messages from our pediatrician.