Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Freedom to Marry Week

I noticed that two of the blogs that I like to read currently have posts about Freedom to Marry Week: O for Obsessive and tied to my apron strings. I don't know why it took two to convince me to write my thoughts about it, too.

I believe that people should be allowed to marry whomever they choose to marry, as long as they are both adults. I believe that love knows no boundaries.

Several years ago, I asked my dad why he didn't like gays. With a pained look on his face, he said that the Bible says, God ordered us to "Go forth and multiply."

After a couple of years, I summed up the courage to bring it up again. This time, I pointed out that Earth is crowded, we're using up resources at an alarming rate, and many plant and animal species are going extinct because of human carelessness. (I knew he would agree with all of this.) At what point can we assume that we've done enough multiplying?

By this time, he had mellowed out a little and we were able to discuss the issues philosophically. I'm hoping that he (and many other people like him) can work past his upbringing and become more tolerant of differences.

4 comments:

Kelly O said...

Hey, thanks much, Warriormom. As I said, this is a topic that means a lot to me and my family. Happy V-day!

WarriorMom said...

You're welcome. :)

Mary said...

Hurrah! With you all the way!

WarriorMom said...

Thanks, mom-nos.