Friday, February 16, 2007

Kadri Atalay is a friend of mine

From the Washington Post:

A 29-year-old District man was killed early this morning when his car was struck head-on by a sport utility vehicle speeding on the wrong side of Wisconsin Avenue NW, D.C. police said.

The driver of the SUV, 42-year-old Kadri Atalay of Gaithersburg, was charged with second-degree murder in the crash, D.C. police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said.


Kadri is a kind and intelligent gentleman, and it's hard for me to reconcile the person named in the news articles with the person that I know. Apparently, he made a deadly mistake.

My mom died in a car accident when I was 19, and there may have been alcohol involved. I can't remember the details of the trial afterwards. But even before my mom's death, I have had strong feelings about drunk drivers. When I heard the news this morning about Kadri, I was very upset. I still am.

I don't know what might be going on in Kadri's life, or what led him to the situation he is in now. But I hope that he can find the strength to endure the results of this accident. He will have to carry this with him for the rest of his life.

I grieve for the man who died, and I pray for his family. But I also pray for my friend, that he finds support, in spite of his mistake.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so shocked to hear this! Kadri was also a friend of mine, or at least a colleague I got along with well, when I worked with him. I am so sad for all of the parties involved.

Em said...

What a terrible tragedy and so very hard to reconcile...

Kelly O said...

Oi, I'm so sorry, for you and for your friend.

Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I'm so sorry. What a tragedy....

Anonymous said...

I am so saddened to hear about this accident and in fact only found out about it yesterday. I don't live in the area and have known Kadri for years. If you happen to have any information about where he is or what may be happening concerning the case please please let me know. My heart is hurting for all involved.

WarriorMom said...

Hi cs. I'm afraid the only information I have is from the newspapers. The 2/21/07 Gaithersburg Gazette said, "A preliminary hearing is set for Feb. 27."

Anonymous said...

I am the sister of the man Kadri Atalay murdered. While I understand that he is a friend of yours he still decided to sit into his car druck and speed down the Avenue hitting my brothers car. I hope he never forgets what he has done and he thinks of Diarmuid every day of his miserable life. I know that i will never forget seeing the news reviews and seeing the picture of Diarmuids car in pieces and also the sight of my 29 year old brother lying in a coffin.

WarriorMom said...

Hi Anonymous. Thank you for posting your comment. I feel the same way about the driver who killed my mom. I am sure that Kadri deeply regrets his actions, at every moment. I guess this isn't much consolation to you, but it's all I can think of to say.

Anonymous said...

i hope this rotten horrible man if i can even call him a man rots in jail for the rest of his life! im outraged that people can actually stand up for this stupid person!! im actually speachless.. "im so sorry for you and your friend" wat about diarmuids family and friends?? wat are we ment to do now?? we are lost and empty with out him.. i hope he rots! i also hope anyone standin up for him rots.. ye are filth!

WarriorMom said...

Yes, I am filth. I stand up for my friend, who made a mistake. We all make mistakes, some of them more dire than others. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I understand your anger. I've been there. I felt that same anger when a drag-racer killed my mom, when I was 19. But after the trial, my dad approached the defendant and said, "For what it's worth, I forgive you."

Anger is easy. Forgiveness is hard.

Kelly O said...

It's terribly sad for the people who have lost a loved one, of course. It's a tragedy. Plenty of sadness to go around.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that we do not talk about the 6 years in prison he recieved? We have all made mistakes, one can only hope that this will stop ONE person from repeating this. The loss is tremendous to the families involved, but learn from it, a cab cost so little in exchange for the lives devasted.

Anonymous said...

This man only got 40 months today for killing my friend. is suppose he will be out in 2 1/2 or 3 years.
Diarmuid is gone for ever. Its not right.