Tuesday, February 27, 2007

An update

Here's an update:

  • Hernia vs. hydrocele
  • My continuing autism research
  • Potty-training progress
Hernia vs. hydrocele

AF took JF to his consultation appointment with the surgeon yesterday. His name is Dr. Buck. (AF loves to say the name with a twang.)

Our understanding for the past two weeks has been that JF has a hydrocele, and not a hernia. From what I've read about hernias and hydroceles, the only way to determine which one a boy has is to shine a light through it. If the light is blocked, it's a hernia (intestines). If the light isn't blocked, it's a hydrocele (fluid). Hernias are dangerous, because of the risk of strangulation, but hydroceles are relatively harmless. Both need surgery.

When AF called me at work after the consultation, he said that Dr. Buck had said that it's a hernia. I asked whether the doctor had shined a light through it. No. My anxiety about this upcoming surgery went through the roof. Of course, at this point, it was too late in the day to call Dr. Buck myself.

So I did my best to sleep on it, and called Dr. Buck's office this morning. I told the lady who answered the phone how I feel like a ping-pong ball between doctors diagnosing my son's problem as a hernia, then a hydrocele, and then a hernia again. She said that the two are very close and that JF's diagnosis is definitely hernia. When I asked about using light to diagnose a hernia or hydrocele, she said she's never heard of it. She said that Dr. Buck diagnoses hernias and hydroceles by the way they feel, and he's been doing it for years.

I guess, at this point, I decided to just trust these people. I asked her whether the change in diagnosis means anything different in the surgery. She said that it's still outpatient surgery, still home the same day. She said to keep him home from daycare one full day after the surgery. (Based on DDM's account of her son's recent surgery, I'm guessing we'll need to keep JF home two full days after the surgery.)

Then the lady asked whether I want to schedule the surgery now. Gulp. I passed the buck. I told her to call my husband, because he'll be the one to chauffeur the boy to and from the surgery. After I hung up the phone, I started to worry about whether I should take time off work to go with them.

And I still hope these people know what they're doing.

My continuing autism research

The bookstore called a few days ago, to say that the Children with Starving Brains book I had ordered had come in. On my way home from work today, I stopped by the bookstore and looked it over. It was a used copy, with pencil marks all through it. I asked the cashier why am I being charged $40 for this? He said it was low supply and high demand.

I decided to buy it, because I was afraid I'd always wonder about it if I didn't. Fortunately, I still had a gift card with more than enough on it to pay for the book.

I haven't started reading it, but I'll find the time somehow.

Oh, and we still haven't picked up the two Out of Sync books from the library yet.

Potty-training progress

JF is almost reliable now about peeing on the potty, but he has pooped in the potty only once, and that was at daycare over a month ago. We had pretty much resigned ourselves to cleaning poopy underwear for a while.

After JF ate dinner tonight, he climbed down from his chair and squatted on the floor. Most of the time, we don't notice that he is doing this until it's too late. This time, I saw him get into position.

Without hesitation, I said, "Time to sit on the potty!" He gave token resistance, then allowed me to lead him to the bathroom. He dawdled a bit before taking down his pants and sitting on the potty. Then he peed in the potty and said, "All done!"

I worried for a moment that I had read the signals wrong, but persevered.

I handed him a Craftsman tool catalog that AF had left in the bathroom and suggested that he sit there and look at it for a while. I told him, "Maybe you can push the poop into the potty while you're looking at the catalog."

He enjoyed looking at all of the wrenches and storage chests. After a while, he stopped turning pages, and had a pensive look on his face.

Then, certain sounds and smells indicated success!

JF pooped on the potty!

I called AF into the room and we both clapped and cheered for JF. After a moment of confusion, he started smiling and cheering, too. When I cleaned him up, I marvelled out loud how easy it was to wipe him clean. When he pulled up his underwear, I pointed out that his underwear was still clean.

He earned three M&Ms right away. Later, we gave him a bowl of ice cream. By then, he was doing his own crowing: "I pooped on the potty!"

I want to shout it from the rooftops, but it's cold outside and I'm afraid of heights, so I'm blogging about it instead. :)

3 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

Hip Hip Hurray! That is great!!! Congrats Mom, Dad and JF!

I know that I felt so much relief when we finally got there! Some how it makes things easier knowing that that milestone has been met. Good for JF!

Sorry about the surgery! I know it is scary. Hang in there!

Em said...

Bravo on the potty training! My daughter finally got the knack of it 3 months ago and I'm still shouting it from the roof tops!!!

Kelly O said...

Good luck on the upcoming surgery, and congrats to the super-duper pooper!